Thursday, July 21, 2016

An evening session

The first brown of the evening taken on #18 olive parachute
Earlier this week, I met my neighbor Mike up on the Farmington river for a short evening session after work.  Mike was up on the river ahead of me and found a nice quite spot where he found fish rising to small olives.  After arriving, I strung up my 8.5' 4wt dry fly rod and put on a #18 olive parachute and found my first brown of the evening.  While I was fishing the olive parachute, I noticed several smaller fish following the fly but not take it, so I switched to #20 parachute Adams which worked out very well.  For the next 90 minutes, we both enjoyed some of the best dry fly action I've seen this season.


I have been fishing a small parachute Adams a lot this season and it has become the first fly out of my box when I suspect the fish are taking small flies, especially olives.  The fly is effective and the white parachute post makes it easier for me to see on the water.

After the dry fly action slacked off, I went back to the truck to get a jacket and rig my nymphing rod. Mike had introduced me to a section of the river that I had not fished before and I wanted to explore the long series of riffles and pockets.  Overall, the run looked to be about 3-5' deep with a "walking pace" flow and lots rocks to for cover.  I ended up taking another handful of browns and rainbows on a small olive nymph before Mike suggested we relocate before the sun set.

With about an hour of light left we headed to a popular dry fly pool that I had never fished before.  I tend to stay away from those areas that get a lot of attention.  I asked Mike if he thought we could find a place to fish there.  He was confident that we could so we made the move.  I watched the river for a little and did see rising fish.  After observing for a little, I tried to figure out where I should be to target them.  I had to move around a bit to get into a good position but, as darkness came, a few fish started working.  I couldn't see exactly what they were taking but it looked like the sort of rise you see when fish are taking spinners.  This along with the fact that I did see some large pale spinners in the air convinced me to try I a Cahill spinner.  I was rewarded with a decent fish that solidly took the fly.  We contined to fish into the dark and I had one final pull, fishing the spinner downstream on a tight line but I didn't connect.  At that point it was just too dark to really see what we were doing so we ended a great evening on the river.  We enjoyed some great dry fly action and I got to fish a couple of areas that were new to me thanks to Mike.


Finishing up the night brown that took the Cahill spinner

19 comments:

  1. Well done, Mark. In my estimation there is no more fun in fly fishing than catching trout on dry flies. As far as the parachute adams, I love that fly as well along with the deer hair caddis both of which have produced for me all season long...

    Until the last two nights that is. I fish the Swift and I have been skunked the last two night with barely any action at all, either on top with said flies or sub surface with soft hackles and such. I'm glad you fellas had a good night and hopefully I will break out of my slump soon.

    Best Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I love fishing dries too, it's my favorite way to fish. Stick at it, sometimes in the summer it's time to go small with nymphs and dries.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great time Mark! I need to fish the Adam's more. I get in little spurts with it, but overall, I just dont fish it enough. Thanks for the motivation!

    Sam, try a giant fly on the swift. the past couple weeks I've done great on #6-#10 chernobyl ant's, often with a little yellow and orange zebra midge dropper - probably 60% of the fish have eaten the ant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Hibernation. I will give that a try. What I've been casting lately hasn't been working.

      Delete
    2. Will and Sam - Just what I like to see, guys helping each other out!

      Delete
  3. Nice outing, Mark! Fishing dries is so much fun, so I'm glad they produced for you. Sounds like a memorable outing. Sometimes it's the more basic flies that produce (para Adams) rather than the fancy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout - The classics are classics for a reason! Those small Adams do the trick when very little else will!

      Delete
  4. Love that last wild brown. Stunning colors on him! It reminds me of some of the browns I caught in the Beaverkill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rowan - yes that last one has been in the river a while and has probably seen a ton of flies go overhead!

      Delete
  5. Mark, I think you hit a home run. I'm going to go fishing in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - a very nice evening for sure - hope you enjoy a nice evening's fishing soon

      Delete
  6. I enjoy fishing the Parachute Adams on smaller streams. The trouble for me is an honest one. I don't tie Parachutes worth a darn, so I end up having to buy the ones I use. For an evenings fun on the water, it appears you and Mike did rather well. Nice Brown in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel - they were always trouble for me until I learned a few tricks. Check out my video on youtube for tying the parachute adams and see if it doesn't help! If you go over to the fly box on the right side bar of the blog and find parachute Adams it will take you to the video.

      Delete
    2. Mark, thanks for doing the video. Watching you do it seems doable to me. I think I was doing a couple of things wrong and that may be the problem. Back to the vise!

      Delete
    3. Mel - there is no "wrong" in fly tying but sometimes there is better. Parachutes always gave me fits too until I saw someone else's solutions to the problems I was having. The #22's are still a challenge for me though.

      Delete
  7. Mark the Adams is sometimes a forgotten fly when it comes to summer fishing,but your proving that maybe their is no bad time to fish the Adams as long as the size is correct. Those are quality fish you caught. The Farmington must be a very healthy river, every photo I have ever seen,the fish are impressive. Congrats on a good night fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - thanks! The Farmington is a cool river which helps everything. This year it seems the trout are a bit bigger and stronger. On a river like this where everyone is tossing the last new fly, it can sometimes pay to fish the old standards!

      Delete
  8. Looks like you guys had a very good evening on the Farmy! Nice job !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete - it was nice to fish some new water (to me anyway)

      Delete