Saturday, July 9, 2016

Enjoying another afternoon on the Farmington

Nothing special to report on my last trip to the Farmington.  Nymphing was good in the early afternoon and the day started off with a brook trout, a rainbow, and then a brown in that order.  Three fish and one of each species within the first half hour of fishing!.  I switched the rig up from a frenchie/bead head green caddis combo to a walt's worm/PT softhackle combination and caught two more rainbows.  I finished up with an iso dry fly with a PT soft hackle dropper and fished some water that was beyond the reach of the my tight line nymphing rig and caught another rainbow on the dropper.

Fish #1

#2

#3

At this point I was ready to move on and try another spot.  My second location was a run/pool combination.  I thought that a brown on two may have worked up into the faster water at the head of the pool.  The spot I had in mind is a small break in the river where some water runs around a small island and up against a bank before rejoining the main current.  I've caught browns in the faster water of this break before so I thought a big iso dry might draw a rise.  Sure enough, on the first drift through the break a little wild brown crushed the iso.  While it wasn't the biggest fish of the afternoon, it was the most satisfying to catch since it a wild fish was holding right were I thought one might be, reacting to the fly I had in mind.


That fringe of red on the adipose and in the tail are characteristic of a wild brown
Stop #3 was a favorite out of the way spot that I haven't fished yet this season.  As I was walking up from downstream I noticed a rise in a gentle run just off an overgrown bank.  The big iso drew a rise but the fish turned before taking the fly so I switched to a sulfur and got the same response, a rise but no take.  Thinking the a smaller fly might be the ticket, I tied on a #18 parachute Adams.  Within a couple drifts a nice brown followed the Adams for a little and then took the fly.  I had it on for a breif couple of seconds before the hook popped out but I was pleased to have raised the fish and hooked it.
                             
I finished up the afternoon tossing the iso in some pocket water waiting for the sulfur hatch to begin.  I did connect with one decent fish but as is often the case fishing pocket water, the fish used current and structure to work free.  Before any hatch could get going, rain showers moved in.  I fished in the rain for about an hour thinking the shower might pass but with no sign of letting up, I made a early departure for home, thankful to see some much needed rain falling.

10 comments:

  1. Nice outing, Mark. That little wild brown was a cool treat...love when things work out how you want them too, which doesn't happen too often, so you have to enjoy it. Glad to see you got a few up top as well. Think I will be paying the Farmy a visit soon, so hopefully the isos are coming off pretty nicely. Just curious...was that first Brookie stocked? Tough to tell with so much of it being in the water (which is great).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout - thanks, that little brown made an enjoyable afternoon even more fun! I looked the brook trout over pretty well since I was wondering the same. I can say that the fins were in good shape, the dorsal straight, and the gill plate fully covering the gills but I did catch it in an area that I haven't caught brook trout previously. I tend to think it might be a stocked. Also the iso hatch doesn't occur like most hatches with a lot of bugs but rather trickles on for an extended period of time so the fish get used to seeing them even when there aren't any of the water at the time

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the Hat trick!!! Looks like you had some steady action! Always a plus at this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation, Mark, on running the trout "Gauntlet" in the first half hour!! Those are nice fish and a good sign of the day too come. Perseverance paid off for you before the rains came. Thanks for sharing some happy hook ups..............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love it when everything works out? Those are some nice healthy looking browns Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - Yes I do! The Farmington has been giving up some nice healthy fish this year

      Delete
  5. Well done, Mark. You caught some dandies on the Farmington. That is one big brook trout in picture #1. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete