Friday, July 29, 2016

Thursday evening session

a pocket water brown
We are getting some much needed rain today with the possibility of strong thundershowers throughout the day and into the evening. I thought a quick trip to the Farmington last night ahead of the rain would be my best shot to fish for the next few days.

With the hot dry weather lately, I figured the fish might be up in the faster moving, more oxygenated water so I headed to a stretch of pocket water that I have wanted to explore but hadn't until last night.



My hunch proved accurate as I worked up through the faster water, I found fish in almost all the pockets like the one pictured to the left. The wading was a bit slippery but I managed to stay mostly upright and in two hours I had found close to a dozen fish.  Some took a Walt's Worm and the rest a small DDT nymph.  Hopefully the 2 inches of rain predicted will bring some new life to our local streams.





Another pretty Farmington rainbow

12 comments:

  1. Mark, I think the 1-2 inch forecast is not going to happen. Still I'm thankful for what we're getting.
    It's always nice to fish those pockets, most times you will be rewarded with a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - well so much for a good rain, but we may get more over this coming week. Let's hope so!

      Delete
  2. Mark, nice job out there. Take advantage because the flows might be getting lower. The heavy rain we were predicted to get did not materialize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - no it didn't. Maybe next week. We desperately need it.

      Delete
  3. Well done, Mark. Glad you got into the trout in the spots you thought they would be. Indeed we need rain and today's event only produced a quarter inch where I live though the weather man was saying we would get a couple. Hopefully things will turn around soon. Be Well, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - yes the small amount of rain was disappointing!

      Delete
  4. Mark, get that need to be on the water and fishing, when and where you can..........

    Sorry to read about the dry spell you are going through. I must say Northern Colorado has been hot an dry with little to no rain for going on the past (6) weeks or so. The weather patterns all are out of whack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel - I've been fortunate this dry summer to still have options. Sorry to hear things are dry out your way too!

      Delete
  5. What I wouldn't give to be wading that nice looking water and catching a fish or two. Come on rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - seems like we are all hoping for some rain!

      Delete
  6. Looks like that hunch you had was spot on,I usually hit the riffles and the more oxygenated water when water gets low.congrats on a nice outing. Our conditions are not very good in south central pa. The only fishing is in our spring creeks, and even their you cannot be to far from the source of where the water enters do to warming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - over the past couple summer's I've notice that trend in the warmer months so it wasn't that much of surprise to find fish in the faster water. From the comments, it sounds like everyone is in drought conditions to some degree this summer.

      Delete