Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Odds and ends

It's been a busy last few weeks in our house with getting our youngest off to college but now we can say "Mission Accomplished"

New York Asters are everywhere
I can't say that's it been great fishing around CT lately.  Like a lot of places in the northeast, it has been hot, humid, and very dry. This is the first year that I can remember that fishing has been closed around feeder streams on the lower Farmington River as fish seek thermal refuge around the inlets.  I would recommend that anglers just stop fishing the lower river until consistent cool evenings bring the water temperature back down into a more healthy range for the fish.  The upper river while low, is still cool, so I have been out once before dawn and at sunset earlier this week.

touch me not
There wasn't really much of anything going on in terms of tricos or the summer/winter caddis which the Farmington is famous for on my early in the morning excursion but I did find a few small wild browns willing to swipe at a small elk hair caddis and one rainbow that took the dropper on a dry dropper rig that I fished later in the morning.


Monday evening, my lovely wife came along with me.  I set up a couple chairs and we enjoyed dinner by the river together.  This
was the first time she had seen the river I fish so often and she enjoyed it, especially when a young bald eagle made an appearance.  When darkness eveloped the river wild brookies and browns were rising to spinners.  A usual cast into the darkness brought a few to hand.  Hopefully some cooler weather and rain will come our way soon.

A camera shy rainbow
One of a handful of healthy wild browns that the Farmington is producing this year (love that red flare on the adipose fin)

12 comments:

  1. In more ways than one, this is been an incredibly strange year from coast to coast. Having the wife along (willingly) and catching a few gems can make you forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - in spite of the strange weather the trout are holding their own which is the silver lining!

      Delete
  2. I will just "Ditto" what Howard commented on. I don't ever recall a Summer like this one. Things sure seem upside down to me. Really happy to read that you have been out a couple of times through it all. Bringing your wife to the river for some relaxation and enjoyment is worth it all............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel - we are fortunate to still have some options when the rivers heat up like this summer! I was so happy for my wife to see the eagle after all the times I've told her about them. Maybe at some point I'll convince her to take up a rod!

      Delete
  3. Mark,
    Good to see the Farmy holding it's own. Wild trout seem to fare well even in bad times.
    It's September and maybe nature will be kinder to the small streams we love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - yes it is good to see the wild trout population in the Farmington is doing well. I really miss fishing the smaller streams but under our current conditions it makes sense to leave them alone. Hopefully September will bring more rain to the region

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a very pleasant evening spent with your wife on the river. Beautiful photo of the stream born brownie. Great spotting pattern on him. Nice rain in our area today which will surely help things. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, let's hope some rain comes our way

      Delete
  5. glad all went ok with your youngster & you both had time to chill out in some lovely surrounding.
    regards George

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great evening!!! Now you are a part time empty nestor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wild trout here & there are looking forward to cooler days and heavier waters (aren't we all?). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wild trout here & there are looking forward to cooler days and heavier waters (aren't we all?). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete