Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Where did the water go?

I woke early yesterday morning and noticed it was darker than usual. The sky was heavily overcast and low clouds filled the sky.  A few lighting flashes and some distant rumbling indicated a thunderstorm was headed our way.  I headed out for my run anyway, I actually like running in summer showers since it adds a little adventure to my morning routine.  Just when I was furthest from the house the rain started, gentle at first but growing stronger with each stride.  By the time I made it back home I was soaked but refreshed.  I thought the local showers the past two days would bring the water level up a bit in the river but when I checked the river gauge for the Farmington river, I was very surprised to see the flow out of the dam had been cut back to about 25% of the flow at the beginning of July.  Ben and I had made plans to fish after work, so I wasn't exactly sure what the fishing would be like later in the day.


Ben had arrived before me and settled into a good location considering the conditions.  I was amazed at how low the river was.   I could now wade out to areas that I typically can not fish under normal flows.  I did hook one nice brown but it managed to snap off a worn tippet. With little to show for our efforts, we decided to move to some faster pocket water.  Ben did well with a dry dropper rig while I nymphed.  We both caught a mix of rainbows and browns before we decided to move again.

We spent the waning daylight fishing usuals to eager wild brookies and browns.  Nothing big but to a die hard small stream guy, it was definitely a lot of fun.  Too bad my camera battery died earlier in the evening.  These wild fish were  as strong as they were beautiful.  It's always nice to find small pockets of wild fish as it indicates a healthy river system.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day on the river, Mark, despite the low water levels. I am glad to hear the wild trout are prospering. We sure got some much needed rain which was appreciated. Hopefully we will get more. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - glad to hear you have had some rain. We had some showers earlier in the week but it didn't do much for the rivers in our area.

      Delete
  2. Nice Mark! I was supposed to guide up there tomorrow but when I saw the flow I decided against it because my client is specifically looking to get into some big fish- so we're either going for smallmouh on the Housi or stripers in the Connecticut...
    They shouldn't be allowed to cut the flow that much in the summer, it puts the wild populations in the Collinsville and Unionville sections at risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rowan - I was really surprised that the flow was cut back so much. I was wondering if the reserves in the dam were dangerously low. Hopefully, not!

      Delete
  3. Very Nice Mark!!! Camera issues again !!!hmmm lol sounds familiar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty much done with that waterproof pocket camera. I really love my good camera but I'm not taking out wading into the Farmington. One dunk and I'm sunk.

      Delete
  4. Looks like we're all suffering from the same thing...lack of rain. Thankfully those beauties came out to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - sorry to hear that! I wonder where is all the water that isn't falling out east or out west is going???

      Delete