Monday, September 26, 2016

PA Limestone 101

The Lake at Boiling Springs,the shop is the building on the left
This past weekend my wife and I went down to south central PA to spend Parent's weekend with my youngest daughter who is attending Messiah College.  She was expecting to have a fair amount of work to do for school so I was told to bring my fishing gear as the famed Yellow Breeches runs right through campus.

Brad Bashore was gracious to provide a lot of information on the Yellow Breeches and some suggestions on where to fish, flies, etc.  He also suggested that I stop by the TCO fly shop in Boiling Springs.  Neil spent a good deal of time telling me about the area and what to expect.  He took a look at my fly boxes and then suggested a few local favorites.  I like having a few local flies from the places I visit.  If you are ever in central PA, this is a shop I would high recommend you stop by.  They are very knowledgeable and will give you an honest opinion of what you need to be successful and nothing more.

One of several springs at the one end of the Lake
Boiling Springs is a very unique place.  There are several springs at the end of the lake that supply crystal clear cold water to the lake, "the run" and then eventually to the Yellow Breeches where "the run"dumps it's cold flow into the main stem.  I enjoyed a walk around this picturesque lake, marveling at the size of some massive sycamore trees that had me wondering how old they were.


I chose to focus during the afternoon on the main stem of the river below the run.  I didn't see any rising fish during the time I was on the river so I focused on nymphing and managed to entice a rainbow and a brown with one of the local nymphs that Neil had suggested.  Later in the afternoon I did venture up into the run but my long 10ft nymph rod was way too long to effectively fish the smaller run.  I would have been more at home with my 6ft fiberglass rod and some tiny nymphs.  I was amazed at how many fish were sitting in the shallow riffles of the run.   This is obviously a very productive stretch of water.  I did see a couple of pairs of fish looking like they were getting ready to spawn, one of which was a massive brook trout.


The beautiful Yellow Breeches where the "run" joins the main stem
A nice Yellow Breeches brown
A special thanks to Brad Bashore and Neil Sunday for their help, suggestions and advice.  They definitely made my visit so enjoyable.

19 comments:

  1. Mark, I'm very glad you had an enjoyable time am looking forward to your return , very nice photo of the run going into main stream,it's a magical area. Thank you .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - thanks for all your advice, the phone calls and the text messages! Your input made it very easy for me to fish an area that was totally new to me. I look forward to meeting you someday in the near future!

      Delete
  2. Mark very nice.
    I had to chuckle when you said that 10' rod might have been to much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - you should fish the run on your way down to SNP if you are passing by. I think you would enjoy it but it is a small fly affair!

      Delete
  3. Very nice scenic photos Mark!! Who helped your daughter select that school, that just happens to have the Yellow Breeches running through it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete and very funny. Actually, I kept the fishing perk out of the discussion until she had decided.

      Delete
  4. Mark, an added perk ,the rivers conservation school is moving to messiah college next summer due to allenberry changing ownership. This is flagship school started many years ago in pa. That many states have adopted now. The school is held in June . What this means is their will probably be a lot of restoration done in the area just like the run .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing Mark - what a neat area to fish!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will - thanks it was really interesting to see the springs, the geology, and the character of a limestone spring creek.

      Delete
  6. Interesting to me that I was reading an article on the Letort, Yellow Breeches, and other limestone streams in that area just tonight as I was sitting on a plane. I am glad you caught some as I expect you would. According to the article, trout are very hard to catch in those streams. Well done, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I certainly got an education in "the run", I was told it was one of the most pressured streams in PA but I was very pleased to get a couple in the net! I am looking forward to getting to know the area while my daughter is in school there.

      Delete
    2. Mark, I have a good customers in Harrisburg, and Chambersburg. I have to make time to fish those limestone streams when there, which I have not up till now. I have read the fish are challenging, but you never know...I might get lucky!

      Regards, Sam

      Delete
  7. I have been reading a lot of stuff about the fishing hunting but it is different presented, i loved to read this. keep it up.
    Camping Equipment

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep telling my wife I want to go back to Pa. to fish some famous rivers. So far no luck but I certainly enjoyed this Mark, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog have allot of detail about the fishing it's good job.
    fishing

    ReplyDelete