Wednesday, October 26, 2016

A brief stop along the way

After spending a few days with my oldest daughter in the SNP, my wife and I made our way up to central PA to pick up our youngest for her fall break from Messiah College.  It just so happens that the Yellow Breeches runs right through the campus.  So what is a father supposed to when you are waiting for your daughter to get out of class?



I had a wonderful couple of hours exploring the river and even managed to find a few fish.  The browns looked in excellent shape and from the red fringe on the tail and the complete fins were likely holdovers or wild fish.  I even found a little wild brown, suggesting that this river is in excellent health.  What a great break from driving and I look forward to exploring it some more over the next 4 years!

A very good sign for the future

11 comments:

  1. Those almost have to be wild, I've always found PA's stocked browns to be rather ugly and from what I've been told the YB has a really good self sustaining population. Someday I'll have to get out that way and fish it... I've still never caught a trout from the state where I was born!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lyle - I'm no expert on wild PA browns but they were some handsome browns. I have no doubt the small one is wild. Maybe Brad Basehore will weigh in on this one, he has fished the YB most of his life.

      Delete
  2. You are supposed to do exactly what you did Mark, Go Fishing! Pretty fish!! Nice way to kill a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete - My wife is starting to wonder why I keep volunteering to go pick her up or visit ;)

      Delete
  3. Dang, I wish I had a trout stream flowing through my college back in the day, especially one like the Yellow Breeches. Well done on the beautiful wild browns, Mark. A nice way to spend time while you waited for your daughter to get out of class. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I think if I had the Yellow Breeches right next to my dorm in college, I would have had a lot lower grades!

      Delete
    2. Haha! Same here, Mark, and mine were nothing to write home about to begin with.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Howard! I thought of you yesterday when the snow started flying around here!

      Delete
  5. Mark, I thought you would try those fish at the college,looks like some success. To elaborate on yellow breeches wild fish,it has been my experience that their are a good population of wild fish but they do not predominate the fishery. When I started fishing the breeches it was almost always stocked fish, that was 50 yrs ago. With the relentless work of our t. U. Chapter over the yrs and restoration projects the chance to catch a wild brown is common. This stream gets a lot of pressure in most yrs. the fact that we had bad conditions this the fishermen left them alone, I think this was a good thing. Mark I'm glad you had a chance to fish the college,I believe the small trout is a wild fish,the others I would say are holdovers, a very good sign. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - thanks very much for your input. There is plenty of water to explore around there!

      Delete