Monday, October 3, 2016

A fall day on the big river

An early fall day on the Housatonic River
The leaves are starting to turn in CT and it won't be long before the trees will be covered with maple reds, oranges, and birch yellow.

Fall always reminds me of some memorable late afternoons fishing one of our larger rivers, the Housatonic.  I love fishing smaller water but there is something very enjoyable about fishing the Housatonic in the fall.

Most years, there is a good population of holdovers in the river but with this year's drought and high water temperatures, I wondered how many fish survived the summer. With cooler weather and overcast skies, I headed up to the river to find out.  I fished an area that doesn't see a ton of attention and probably wasn't stocked recently.  I was quite pleased to pick up a nice holdover brown on an iso comparadun after a couple of decent drifts.  However, the iso was ignored for the rest of the afternoon.


I did see a few fish working during the afternoon but nothing really rising and nymphing proved unproductive so I stuck with dries.  Later in the afternoon, there was more bug activity and I did manage another colorful brown and a handful of smallmouth bass on a larger cahill comparadun.  I didn't have a banner afternoon numbers wise but you can't put a price on a quiet and peaceful afternoon of solitude!

Some interesting markings on this brown

The largest of a handful of small mouth bass

12 comments:

  1. One can't beat solitude while fishing, Mark. That is what it's all about for me, and why I fish the less popular spots on the Swift. No doubt in my mind that brown with the interesting spots is a wild born one. That first one is a dandy too, along with the smallmouth bass which are fun to catch. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - thanks, after that first fish I thought I was going to have a fun afternoon. I did see a few fish but not as many as I expected. I think the summer was pretty hard on the river.

      Delete
  2. Peaceful solitude on a trout stream in October is the way to go!! Beautiful photos and the second brown has some spectacular markings!! Good Stuff !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete - it was a last minute decision to take a drive up to the Northwest corner but I am glad I went.

      Delete
  3. I love when you can catch trout and bass in one location. I'd love to see more photos of the river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - They say the Housatonic is a bit unique for the northeast and some feel it is more characteristic of the larger western rivers. The leaves are just starting to turn so it should only get more beautiful. If I am up there again, I will take by good camera with me.

      Delete
  4. Mark, great day with dries and catching a mixed bag,wonderful time to be to be fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad - this is a wonderful time of year to be out on the water!

      Delete
  5. Nice fish and beautiful surrounding, you can't go wrong
    Regards
    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George! You can't go wrong being out in New England at this time of year!

      Delete
  6. CT DEEP keeps talking about fallfish. I always caught plenty of fallfish in the Poconos. Fun to catch and take dries with abandon. Did you catch any fallfish on your visit to the Housy??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - In PA, I used to catch a lot of fall fish as a kid. I don't fish the Housy that much but I did not catch any this trip just a lot of tiny smallmouth and a couple trout.

      Delete