Wednesday, November 2, 2016

It was a nice day to be outside


I decided to fish for some of the broodstock Atlantic Salmon that the state of CT stocks in the Naugatuck River.  The day was one of those clear fall days with a northerly breeze.  I fished a couple spots pretty hard and got a couple bumps but couldn't coax the fish to take a fly.  About mid afternoon I changed locations and got another bump.  This time I rested the fish and tried again, stripping the fly back through the area and bam, fish on!  I had pretty good control of the fish until it decided it was time to get to work and was about to go airborn when the knot to the fly gave way I end up with a fly-less leader.  It was a good day from the learning perspective in that I got a couple of opportunities to work fish that had shown interest and was able connect with one and it was gorgeous day to be outside at my favorite time of year.  Special thanks to my friend and salmon expert Ben for doing some text coaching during the day.

11 comments:

  1. Mark, at least you connected and got to feel the power of that salmon. Too bad the knot let go though. One of fishing's mysteries to me is that I can tie what I know is a good knot, test it to the point where tippet won't break, and for some reason it let's go with a good fish on. There must be a reason, but darned if I know what it is.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - That's happened to me a few times. Lately, I've been using a Davy knot for trout fishing and I've never had one fail before but maybe with the heavier leader I was using the Davy knot doesn't hold that well or I did something wrong. We will never know.

      Delete
  2. Mark, I use the clinch knot, but have had it come undone a few times. Maybe I forgot to wet it before pulling it tight and the mono got hot and got weak. Glad you tied into one of those salmon though. I would love to catch one some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - check out how to tie the Davy knot online. It's quick and holds well and is very efficient on tippet.

      Delete
    2. I checked the Davy know out, Mark, and will use that from here on out. The clinch knot can be difficult, especially with cold hands. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  3. Mark; Beautiful photo and it was a nice day to get out. I think we all have had that experience, having a large fish on and suddenly left with that little pigtail as the knot pulled out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. unfortunate Mark but a day in such stunning surroundings beats a day at work anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo is gorgeous Mark. Glad people are still getting out in November. I also have had problems lately with the clinch knot and will be giving the Davy Knot a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howard - it is a real quick and simple knot to tie even in low light. I would recommended it. Not sure why this particular knot didn't hold but I might have messed it up or the salmon rubbed it weak, it was hugging the bottom and shaking its head a good bit.

    ReplyDelete