Thursday, November 10, 2016

Small stream longings

The golds of November are dominating the forest
It's been a long time since I've fished a small stream, way too long! So last Sunday afternoon I took a drive to one of my favorite small streams.  Lately the forest has been dominated by the golden leaves of beech and oak which are still stubbornly hanging on to their leaves. This fall it's been a bit unusual in that the trees have been changing color at different times which has resulted in a protracted fall where the dominant colors have been shifting from yellow to red to golden orange.


With the shorter days now and going back to EST, I didn't have a lot of daylight to work with before the temperatures were going to drop.  I chose to fish one of my favorite flies for small streams in late fall, the Parachute Adams.  The smaller size and darker color just seems to draw more interest in late fall and this afternoon that observation was confirmed.  I found mostly smaller fish but I did see forms darting about in the deeper pools running for cover in the low clear water.  In spite of the near drought like conditions this past summer and fall, the brook trout seem to be hanging on here which is very encouraging.

November Gold

13 comments:

  1. Great choice of flies, Mark. One of my favorites too! I am glad to hear the brookies in this small stream survived the continued drought. They seem to make the best of what little water is available to them.

    Best Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I didn't fish a lot of parachutes until I finally figured out how to tie them, now I fish them a lot since I able to see even the small ones. Brook trout are definitely survivors!

      Delete
    2. The visibility of the white post is one of the reasons I like them too, Mark. I had trouble tying them too, but finally got the hang of it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Howard - this is a pretty time of year for sure!

      Delete
  3. That first photo is something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rowan - photographs just don't capture all the landscape. The woods were especially beautiful on that particular November afternoon.

      Delete
  4. Mark, not only my favorite fly pattern for small stream fishing, but also, my favorite time of year.
    Absolutely beautiful scenes............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa Mel - agreed on both accounts, it makes taking pictures fun!

      Delete
  5. Mark, lovely place. That "survivor" brook trout is such a wonderful sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - I thought you would appreciate knowing there are still survivors in that stream, signs of good things next spring!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous scenic photos Mark!!! Seeing that the brook trout survived must have been a welcome sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - it was a welcome sight to see the brook trout come of the stream bottom and attack a dry fly after such a tough summer and fall!

      Delete