Saturday, February 18, 2017

Dries in the snow?

The new 5' 2/3 weight
Today's forecast was for the temperatures to reach almost 50F. We've been very busy on a number of fronts at home but I was hopeful I could get out for a couple hours this afternoon. When I arrived about 1PM the air was quite warm.  The stream was up nicely with a good flow of water from the melting snow and I was thankful to have gaiters on since the snow still had some depth and was soft and wet.


I figured that fishing a dry was a pretty good option on a warm afternoon.  As the small elk hair caddis made it's way down through a soft run the first brook trout of the day agreed.  There was steady interest in the small caddis with a peacock herl body as small dark stoneflies hatched throughout the warmer part of the afternoon.  When the sun started to get lower in the sky and the temperature started to drop, things pretty much shut down.  On the hike back, I did switch to a silver doctor wet fly but there was no interest in it that I could detect.

The first brook trout of February to take a small dry

Today, was the first chance I've gotten to try out my new Hidden Water series fiberglass rod from Cane and Silk. In the run below, the small 5' 2/3 did a nice job of laying the fly right in the riffle at the head of the pool.  As the caddis drifted by the snow covered rock on the right, a decent brook trout came up and took the fly off the surface.  I am looking forward to fishing this little rod more on tiny streams to see just what it can do. It was really nice to be out again and enjoy a little small stream fishing on a warm February afternoon



16 comments:

  1. Great outing Mark. That first brookies has some girth, and the last one has such a beautiful tail.

    I love your new Cane and Silk rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - isn't it amazing they look so well fed even in winter on a small freestone! I am looking forward to fishing that little glass rod some more

      Delete
  2. Mark, sure can't beat that for a couple of hours on a small stream winter days. Nice brookies and fun with a new rod......... Will be looking for more of your input on the rod as we go along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I will have to fish the rod some more before I give any "review"

      Delete
  3. Alan
    The 2/3 weight is the fly rod I would select for fishing most all those small streams you fish there; fishing a 3 weight gives one the ultimate enjoyment in fly fishing!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - that little rod is well suited for small streams.

      Delete
  4. Sorry Mark about you name I follow both of you guys as you know and look forward both of your post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outing you had there! Gorgeous brookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! Looking forward to fishing with you soon

      Delete
  6. Glad you're enjoying some pleasant weather on the streams. I've had a great couple of days casting dry flies on a mountain brook, and am looking forward to receiving a 6'6" bamboo I've ordered from Cane and Silk. I'll bet that little glass rod will be fun on mountain brooks, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - thanks. That rod sounds like it would be just the ticket for mountain streams. The quality of my glass rod is very nice so I am sure you will be pleased with the workmanship

      Delete
  7. Mark,
    You mentioned you fished a wet fly for a bit. I'm trying to learn about wet fly fishing and was wondering if you were fishing this upstream or downstream? Also, how do you detect strikes? Love the blog and the daily scripture! God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jedidiah - on small streams fishing a wet fly downstream is about the only viable option because casting can be so restricted due to brush etc. Often the fish will take on a slow retrieve so there is no mistaking that a fish took the fly.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful Mark! We've had some gorgeous weather here in Colorado but sad to say, no fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - thanks. We've hit a spell of unseasonably warm weather here making us all wondering if winter is done yet. March is usually pretty unpredictable weather wise though

      Delete