I really love classic Bergman style wet flies so when my friend Mike told me he had been fishing a small stream using a silver doctor, I decided to try tying a few. I've done a couple married wing wet flies before but the silver doctor that I wanted to tie was going to be the most complex wing I have constructed. With some coaching from my other friend Ben, I managed to get some wing sections that looked ok so today I tied up some bodies and mounted the wing on half a dozen. My plan is to actually fish these so I wanted to have a few on hand.
There are a lot of variations of the silver doctor out there so I looked at quite a few before deciding on a combination of materials that I thought preserved the look of the classic salmon fly but in a Bergman style wet fly. For this variation I used a wing of red, yellow, blue, and guinea hen wing sections. I used a silver tip, red tag, golden pheasant tippet for the tail and silver tinsel with a silver wire rib for the body. For the hackle I used a section of partridge under some blue saddle hackle and of course red thread for the head. I worked on getting a couple of wing sets together, then tied some bodies and mounted the wings.