Saturday, March 4, 2017

Early dark stonefly dry fly

Hello everyone!  Here is a very simple dry fly pattern for the early dark stoneflies we are seeing around this time of year.  This fly has been very effective in the winter months on the small streams I've fished.  This a very straightforward fly to tie that uses peacock herl, gold wire and costal deer hair and that's it, nice and simple.



Just a reminder that if you are in the Hartford CT area, I will be presenting "A Fly Fisherman's guide to the Adirondacks at the Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association's March meeting (this Wednesday).  The presentation will include some info and resources about fishing in the Adirondacks but also some of the unique history and geology of the Adirondacks with lots of pictures that you've seen here on the blog.  The meeting is open to the public so if you are in the area, I'd love to meet you and say hello!

March 8, 2017; 7-9PM
Veterans Memorial Clubhouse
100 Sunset Ridge
East Harford, CT

20 comments:

  1. Nice tie, Mark. I appreciate simple patterns that work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sir, that will work very nice on our streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. It has been a good winter fly for the past two winters

      Delete
  3. That is one of my favorite producers, Mark. I have never tied with the peacock herl as the body, but I sure will now.

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I like the darker body in the winter and early spring. They seem to work better than standard tan body. I got the idea from all the stonefly nymphs that use peacock (prince, picket pin, etc)

      Delete
  4. I've found this pattern to be a great all around fishgetter, although I haven't tried it with the peacock herl yet. Great video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard - if you have early black or brown stoneflies in your area or small black caddis, this simple variation is worth having

      Delete
  5. Another thumbs up Mark. I plan on attending your presentation. See you then.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike - thanks! Nothing special on this one, just a simple fly that works. Looking forward to seeing you!

      Delete
  6. Mark
    Really impressed with this pattern, wish the dry was the main pattern for fly fishing. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bill - very simple, nothing flashy, very familiar to most folks but it works

      Delete
  7. Nice pattern Mark.... I like using turkey tail instead it has blacks and browns and is much stronger than Pheasant or Peacock.... thanks for posting.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug - that sounds like a great idea! Thanks commenting

      Delete
  8. Mark
    Great work with the video, and nice work at the vice, you make it good so easy--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. It usually takes a few to get things down and looking decent

      Delete
  9. I might even be able to tie that. It is similar but better than a couple I tied recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gios - its a pretty simple pattern but why make things more complex then the need to be and you can vary the body material to cover a lot of different kinds of bugs

      Delete
  10. I've had only limited success with early black stonefly on the surface, usually doing much better with a nymph, but I want to try this simple herl pattern. Even if the fish aren't rising on the larger streams I'll bet it works well on the smaller mountain waters. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Walt. I can't vouch for its effectiveness on larger waters but it works well on small streams most of the winter

    ReplyDelete