Saturday, April 1, 2017

A little tying

Some Hendrickson soft hackles
I had a little time this afternoon to relax so I decided to tie a few soft hackles.  Lately, it's felt like winter was trying to make a come back around here, I was thinking about spring and what better way to think about the warm days ahead then to tie a few Hendrickson soft hackles.

Here's another short video on a soft hackle that provided a memorable evening this past fall.  This small soft hackle was shown to me by my friend and neighbor Mike.  We were fishing during a decent olive hatch at the end of the beautiful fall day. As the evening approached and the temperature began to fall, fish started rising with regularity. I took a few fish on small dries but each of the fish took the dry at the end of the drift when it began to sink and swing. While I was fooling around with dries, Mike was putting on a clinic with this little wet fly.  After I switched over to this small wet we both were catching fish for the rest of the evening. I don't know how many fish we caught but this little fly was definitely what this fish were looking for that night including some hefty hold-over browns as you will see at the end of the video.


8 comments:

  1. Mark yesterday was a good day to spend some time at the vise.
    Looks like this week will be more spring like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - Yes it was another raw day outside but warmer days are ahead

      Delete
  2. Mark
    You make it look so easy, great work with the video and tying the hackle. This is another one I will save. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. These soft hackles are pretty simple once you get the hang of it

      Delete
  3. Spring is playing hide n seek here as well. I love a good tying video Mark...well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard. A warm day here today and the streams were full and singing from the recent rain.

      Delete
  4. Great fly, Mark...simple and effective. Beautiful brown caught with it! Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, that little fly was amazing! As I mentioned in the video, I went back to the dry a couple times that particular evening only to conclude a wet fly swung was what the fish were looking for.

      Delete