Thursday, April 20, 2017

A spring morning in PA


Greater celandine was everywhere as the early morning sun began to filter through the sycamore undergrowth that was just awakening with those early spring green buds in central PA.  We had a few hours to spare before we needed to get back in the car and start working our way to our next destination but what a beautiful few hours it was.  I choose a nice looking run and started to drift a pair of weighed nymphs through the chalky slightly off-color water.

Three caddis cases on one drift!
On almost every drift, the point fly managed to spear a few empty caddis cases.  I took the hint and switched up the flies to a slightly heavier point fly to keep the flies moving more slowly along the bottom and a caddis larva as a dropper.  The caddis larva was surprisingly ignored except for some small fall fish and some stocky cubs but when I switched to a beaded pheasant tail soft hackle the trout were more interested.  I didn't catch any wild fish this morning but a handful of rainbows and browns made for a fun couple of hours.



one of a handful of bows and browns that took a frenchie or the beaded pheasant tail

celandine was everywhere

14 comments:

  1. Love PA, it is truly a blessed state. I will be headed there in 2 weeks( Allegheny National Forest area ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael - it is a lovely state, when I first started fishing as young boy my grandfather and I fished the farmland of south central PA. It's kind of like returning home for me although we never caught brook trout only browns.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome. Driving through 81 and 84 a few times recently remind's me of how awesome PA is - It's a big state, and has so much diversity to it. Sounds like an awesome trip for you Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will - that 84/81 corridor in the northeast in a very nice drive!

      Delete
  3. Mark
    The bead head soft hackle is one of those patterns I go to when other flies don't produce. What size were you using? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - I use a size 16 most of the time

      Delete
  4. Mark, for some reason I think that snagging the caddis cases is as cool as actually catching a fish. I've never had that happen before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - I thought so too, I've never had that happen before either. I guess that stream has a healthy caddis population!

      Delete
  5. Mark, that state is blessed with beautiful limestone spring creeks which I look forward to fishing in late May. I just finished reading Modern Dry Fly Code by Vincent Marinaro. The old black and white photos of the Yellow Breeches and Letort are classic as are his fly patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam. It is a beautiful area. One only wonders what the fishing was like back when Marinaro, Fox, and crew were fishing

      Delete
  6. There's lots of nice streams in northern and central PA. Glad you're having an opportunity to revisit them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is Walt! It was a gorgeous morning outside

      Delete
  7. Mark
    Beautiful images and quality trout; I assume you were using the size 16 pheasant tail to get the hits? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete