Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The evening rise

It was another stressful day at work, there have been many lately and I just needed to get outside and settle myself.  It was a warm afternoon and a welcome change from the cold, damp weather we've had lately.  After a quick stop home, I was on my way to to a small stream.

The air was warm and in the light of the setting sun, you could see a lot of bugs in the air.  I love this time of day when the shadows get longer and everything has a glow about it.  As I walked along the stream bank I was reminded that life goes on pretty much as it did yesterday, in disregard of anything that is going on at work or anywhere else for that matter.  Being outdoors reminds me to look at the bigger picture of things, things to be really thankful for, things that remain unchanged, things are always true regardless of how I might feel at the moment.




It wasn't long before I saw a brook trout rise in the tail of a small pool.  I fished to the setting of the sun with one single dry fly.  Back at the car, I removed what remained of the Royal Wulff, took a deep breath of fresh air, and gave thanks for wild places so close to home.

14 comments:

  1. The natural world is a blessing to us all. It's good to be reminded every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I often say and very much believe that "Peace is where you find it"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel - Thanks for the comment! The source of peace has been thought about by people a lot smarter than me for a very long time! I tend to think it comes from within us but there are people and places that can help us "reset". That's what I was eluding to when I said that being outdoors helps remind me of the bigger picture...

      Delete
  3. Great post!! For a lot of us the escape to the woods and streams is good medicine!! Peace and tranquility !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - thanks very much. We all need fresh air as you very well know!

      Delete
  4. Short but sweet post.
    And I know what you mean about stress relief. And what a beautiful fish.
    I went fishing yesterday too.
    And reading your blog--and the others--(dries in december, small stream reflections, CT fly angler and others) -- over these past winter months inspired me to write some, too. I wrote about yesterday's adventures. There were no char though--someday.

    The coincidence is the choice of fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gios - glad you enjoyed the short post. Keep at it and you will find them!

      Delete
  5. Mark, it was not long ago that I faced those crazy work days. I always enjoyed that respite that a wild trout stream provided.
    Be well friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - thanks! I've always enjoyed my work, some days more than others but it's been a tough patch for a while lately. It is good to be reminded that life isn't all about how things are going at work! Nice seeing you at CFFA tiers round table last night!

      Delete
  6. We need those wild places, and I'm glad you've got them close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - It's been great to live where there is lots of access to small streams and larger rivers alike that run through forested land!

      Delete
  7. Mark
    I can remember those days at work before retiring; the fishing was my medication and it always worked to heal all ills I had at work. Hang in there and know you have one of the best hobbies there is for relaxation. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete