Saturday, May 13, 2017

Rainbows, rainbows and more rainbows

It been pretty rainy and cold over the last couple weeks.  We are all thankful to see the rivers and streams up at the normal spring levels.

I was looking forward to getting back on the Farmington River but the flows were higher than I felt comfortable fishing so I was looking for other options.  My neighbor Mike suggested a nearby river.  We met up a little before noon and Mike showed me a section of river with lots of nice looking pocket water.


The water looked well suited to tight line nymphing so I set up the long rod and we started exploring.  After getting some of the rust off my nymphing technique it wasn't long before the first rainbow was in the net.  It was good to be out in the fresh air and feel a nice bend in the rod.  After working through a nice run and landing a handful of fish, I encouraged Mike to try my set up.  It wasn't long before he was into a couple fish and liking the feel of my tight line rig.  We set up another leader for his rod and put on a couple weighted flies and between the two of us we were catching fish the rest of the afternoon.  I don't know how many fish we caught between the two of us but we had pretty steady action all afternoon.


Most of the fish were rainbows in the 14-16'' range but there were a couple of nice browns mixed in. We had a great afternoon and it was fun to show Mike an effective nymphing style.

8 comments:

  1. Mark
    That is a good day on any stream! That is such a nice area of the state to fish and that particular river is fishing very well this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark, that's some gorgeous water. I didn't catch the name! Looks like a great place to catch some healthy rainbows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard, it is pretty river! It does get a lot of fishing pressure so I didn't want to add any extra advertisement

      Delete
  3. Great day, Mark. Nothing like feeling a nice trout on the end of a fly line. Rainbows are stocked fish in our region, but I'll tell you most of them fight like crazy when hooked. The longer they are in a stream the wilder they get in my experience.

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - it was a very enjoyable afternoon. Several of these rainbows took to the air as well. No large fish but all were strong. I think holdovers in this particular stream are rare from what I understand.

      Delete
  4. Mark
    Always good to have days where the trout are eager to take your offerings---quality trout!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete