Friday, June 30, 2017

A summer afternoon

A survivor strain brown (yellow
elastomer behind the right eye) 
I spent this summer afternoon on the Farmington River.  I figured that now that summer is here, I would spend the afternoon nymphing the shady pocket water.  My hunch paid off as browns and rainbows were found in many of the shallow pockets.

Near the end of the afternoon, I found a stretch of promising water and quickly hooked three nice rainbows.  The sulfurs were just starting to come off in numbers when the skies got dark and I could hear rumbling in the distance.  At that point, I packed up and headed back to the truck and checked the radar and decided it was time to head home.  It wasn't long before the lightening was flashing and the rain was pouring down as strong line of storms moved through as they do on summer afternoons...

   

10 comments:

  1. Mark
    Nice way to spend the afternoon, now that the flows have come down a bit to a normal level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. It was good to get in to some fish again. The last couple trips were pretty disappointing. I put a new sighter on and what a difference! I could actually see it!

      Delete
  2. Mark
    Quality rainbow for sure, just curious what weight/length fly rod were you using? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. I use a Cabelas CZN 10' 4wt when I am nymphing. I really like the long lightweight rod for this type of fishing

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Will, it was good to be fishing the river at a more normal flow

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you had a great day, Mark. My brother and I were out there too and saw caddis and sulfurs most of the day. The sulfurs were quite large, #12 hook I would estimate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I did see you and your brother were in CT but I didn't know you weee on the Farmington. Too bad we didn't run into each other. Those big yellow mayflies are Cahills and they can bring up some big fish at dark!

      Delete
  5. The Farmington is one place that is high on my bucket list of places I'll never get to. Beautiful river and beautiful fish. Happy 4th Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard. We are blessed to have such a nice river so close! Happy 4th to you as well

      Delete