Sunday, June 4, 2017

Fishing with friends?

After a line of thunderstorms worked through our area, I headed out to fish a small stream. I met a blue heron as I walked along the stream.  When I would approach the stream, it would move off and I would find it in the next area upstream.  I guess it has fished this stream before because it seemed to stop at all my usual spots! 



I suspect the fish were on alert from it's presence since it wasn't until I moved upstream ahead of it before I started finding fish.  I ended up fishing a foam ant and a mini muddler since the brook was up and a bit off-color from the recent showers.

Now that everything is growing, the small streams are getting less open.  If you want to fish these tiny waterways, you are going to have to figure out a way to get a fly into tight spaces like the one to the right.  But if you can get a fly to drift in the right channel you will often be rewarded.



The rewards





14 comments:

  1. Mark
    So beautiful, how I wish I had streams like that to fish here with trout. By the way tick season is on, hope you avoid those on your outings. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - thanks! There are a lot of ticks around here too this season. So far I haven't found any on me but I check

      Delete
  2. The blue herons are good fishermen for sure. No telling how many of the trout we love that they take. Beautiful brook trout, Mark. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I it was neat to see the Heron so close but I wonder how much fishing it has been doing on this little brook! It seemed to know where to look though.

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Beautiful brookies!! They all look well fed. The cool weather and all the rain is a benefit to all the small streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - we've had plenty of water this spring which is certainly welcome on the smaller streams!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous stream and fish Mark. Cool to see that Heron - they are fun to watch. They definitely eat trout... I was amazed last year to watch one eat a brown that had to be 15~ inches - WOW. It was a wrestling match, and he had to drag it on shore... Really surprised me. Figured they wouldnt even "go" for one that sized...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will - thanks! There were stories floating around here last year about a particularly pesky heron that would watch for an angler to catch a fish and then go and take it off the end of the line. I really wouldn't want to tangle with one of them on the end of my line!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Howard - Some of the fish are quite colorful indeed! I was surprised to see the one brook trout in the next to last slide which was quite dark!

      Delete
  6. You are right about the drift!
    I had a great moment with that the other day. Not the drift (actually I was broken off on 4x doing that!) but finding a way in.
    Here it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgYuHojk_s8

    ReplyDelete