Tuesday, June 27, 2017

It's been quite around here for a reason

Father and  daughter
Yes it's been quiet around here at least on the fishing front and there are good reasons.  For most of the month of May were getting ready for a big day in our family, the marriage of our oldest daughter.  She enjoys the outdoors and we have had many adventures together over the years, camping, hiking, skiing and snowshoeing so it was no big surprise that she wanted to be married outdoors.   We had the event at a friends barn and had a wonderful day weather wise at a fanastic location and everything went as well as we could wish.  By the end of the day we were all pretty tired.

On Father's day, my youngest daughter and I went for hike along a favorite small stream.  The last time I fished this stream there were caterpillars everywhere.  Unfortunately, they were gypsy moth caterpillars.  We were amazed at how much of the forest they had destroyed in just a few weeks. The ground was covered with half eaten leaves.  The hillside in the picture below normally would be a lush green but all that the moths left were few half eaten leaves, tree trunks, and limbs.  It was really a sad sight to see.


The arbor I built from Adirondack birch


Last week we were away in the Adirondacks doing some long overdue spring clean up on my mother-in-law's place.  The Adirondacks have been getting a healthy dose of rain all spring and the lakes and streams were quite full.  Needless to say the grass has been growing like crazy so it took a good bit of effort to get things back under control again.  I did take a couple hour break one afternoon to check out a mountain stream.  It was as high and unruly as I have ever seen it in late June and it was tough getting a fly down to where the fish were probably hiding.  I did manage one brook trout to hand but it took a heavy Ausable ugly to coax it out of it's sheltered hiding place.

The firs Adirondack brook trout of the season
With the streams too high to fish, I turned to taking a canoe out in the nearby lake at dusk to fish poppers for smallmouth.  I am not much of a lake or bass fisherman but I do know a few spots that have some underwater structure that will hold bass in the summer.  The first night out I caught plenty of small smallmouth and rock bass to make it fun.


The next night when I canoe to those same spots things were pretty quiet.  I did catch a decent smallmouth on a foam popper so I switch to a small popper with a #14 hook thinking a smaller fly might get some more attention.  As I was working my way back through and area that usually holds fish, something came up and slammed the popper hard and then dove deep and stayed deep.  From the way I was getting towed around in the canoe, I knew this fish was going to be a good one so I didn't try to force the issue, especially with such a small hook that could easily bend.  When I finally got the fish up to the canoe, I was quite surprised to see a hefty largemouth bass on the end of the line, I guess it was roughly around 5lbs.

So that's what I've been up to lately.  I expect things will settle down some now and hopefully I can get back to trout fishing soon.


Adirondack Serenity


14 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the bride and groom and oh my that largemouth is something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Howard! That largemouth was a tank!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Mark, to your daughter and your entire family!

    Well done on that large mouth bass. That is a real dandy and must have been a blast to catch on the fly rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! That largemouth took for a little ride in the canoe which I had me laughing!

      Delete
  3. Congrats to your daughter and her husband and the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! Conrats to the new bride and groom and to your family Mark!!
    BTW very nice largemouth bass there. I bet that put a bend in the rod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! Good thing I was fishing my 5wt at the time although I was most concerned about not bending the tiny hook on the popper.

      Delete
  5. Mark
    I know how special a daughter's wedding can be, I experienced it a little over 12 years ago. Really proud for you and your wife and hope the newly weds have a long and prosperous life together.
    Glad you got in some warm water fishing, nothing like fishing poppers----- beautiful brook trout---Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - It was a day of very mixed emotions which I am sure you can understand!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the big event! The birch arbor reminds me of my own when we got married here in the yard. And the pics of mountain serenity frame a sweet transition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - thank you. I built the arbor with the help of my younger daughter from wood that I collected in the mountains. It was a bit of a challenge to figure out how to construct it so that it would stand and look somewhat straight but it turned out really nice and my daughter getting married really like it. It made for some nice wedding pictures too!

      Delete
  7. As you know fishing memories are sweet. But the memory of your daughters wedding is the sweetest.
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete