Monday, July 31, 2017

When you can't see it, swing it!

Things have been pretty quite here on the blog.  Usually by this time of year I've been up to the Adirondacks a few times but things have been busy at home this summer.  Last night my Ben and a friend of his were going up to the Farmington so we made plans to go together.  Ben wanted to introduce his friend to fishing dry flies for trout.


A wild brookie that took a small
Parachute Adams
I did managed a couple of rainbows early in the afternoon nymphing some pocket water.  Late afternoon we started to see some rising fish.  I still have no idea what they were taking and after changing flies multiple times we ended up taking a few fish on Adams of various sizes.  When in doubt go with a general all round fly like the Adams!  Sonny got his first trout, a little wild brookie on a dry.  I think he's hooked on dry fly fishing for trout but there was more to come!

A brown that took the big usual on the swing

When things started to settle down, I had my doubts about the location were in so I decided to take a walk.  I found another spot where fish were working on what appeared to a light sulfur hatch.  I picked up one brown on a small sulfur wet fly and then switched to a smaller usual since the bugs were very pale almost white.  That's when things started getting interesting.  Fish started rising aggressively in little run on the other side of the river. I could reach them but getting a decent drift was challenging due to the varying speeds of several currents in between but when the drift was right a brown on rainbow usually took the fly.  Ben and his friend joined me and we fished to rising trout into the growing darkness.  I ended up switching to a #12 usual when I could not longer see the smaller one and took a few more browns and rainbows. When I could not longer see the big usual, I was just swinging it and still catching fish.



13 comments:

  1. Mark
    Glad you guys had a good night and a new convert to fly fishing!! Hope to see you guys soon!!!! Nice fish too !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - it was a good night for sure and I think someone got a taste of why dry fly fishing for trout is so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great night, Mark. I am glad you connected plenty. I have to get me a snow shoe hare's foot to tie up a few Ususals. It sounds like a great fly that floats real well I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - the usual does float well, but you've got to dry it often with some silica get because it will soak up water. What I really like about the usual is that you can fish it like a wet fly and catch fish too!

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Don't you just love it when most all patterns you are casting are producing. The Adams works as a dry when a lot of others fail to attract. Glad you guys made a connection---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - every now and then you get dialed in!

      Delete
  4. Instinct! When you fish long enough go with what worked before. Nice outing Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard - thanks, I've played this game before. I was great that there were lots of fish interested in playing too!

      Delete
  5. Its always so fun to watch fish trying to come up in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fishing shops Ireland - yes it is, and its' fun to feel them take the fly when you can no longer see it!

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a good evening on the Farm. Usuals, Crème Spinners, Yellow Duns-- great eastern patterns for the dusky hour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - Those big flies make for a fun summer evening!

      Delete
  7. Usuals, Crème Spinners, Yellow Duns-- great eastern patterns for the dusky hour!


    บาคาร่าออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete