Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Rain or shine, the fish don't care

With the rest of my family treaveling, I had plans for fishing a lot this past weekend.  The forecast wasn’t too encouraging with heavy rain predicted for Friday through Saturday morning.  When Friday came I was watching the radar to make a call whether the hour drive to the Farmington was worth it or not.  The storms were following two parallel fronts running NE and from what I could tell, the river was going to be sitting in between so I went.  As they say, "the best time to fish is whenever you can".

A dreamy fog that covered the river
The first couple hours were dry but the fishing was pretty dead.  At about 5:30, I headed to the spot I wanted to fish til last light. Fish were starting to rise.  I drifted a pair of nymphs through where I spotted a rising fish and connected briefly with a rainbow. A quick leap and it was free.  With more rising fish, I decided to switch rods so I headed back to the car to set up to fish dries and grabbed my raincoat.

It wasn't long before the rain started and it continued the rest of the evening alternating between periods of light rain and more intense showers but the fish continued to rise regardless. A #20 olive parachute was all that was needed to take rising fish in the dreamlike fog the shrouded the river, the result of the combination of warm air, rain, and cold water at the water's surface.  As the light finally faded in darkness the river became quite again.

A rainbow that took a small sulfur
comparadun
Saturday was a bright clear day, in stark contrast to the day before. I headed up about mid afternoon and decided to fish the same area as the night before.  While olives were on the menu in the rain, the clear day brought some small sulfurs out and I did pretty well early in the evening on #20 light comparaduns.  Around sunset the fish continued to rise but the the fish were no longer interested in the small light fly so I switched back to the olive parachute but it failed to attract any attention.  I did manage one on a Griffth’s gnat (#22) and picked up the last fish of the night on the olive parachute but I think the fish had started taking small spinners (22/24) but try to tie on of those one in fading light!  

Two successive nights with different weather brought fish to the surface but each night was a different affair in terms what the fish were taking.  That’s what is so interesting about fly fishing, each new day brings different conditions that you have to figure out.  What worked the night before often doesn’t bring the same success.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a super time, Mark. Glad you enjoyed it. The fog is awesome!

    I agree with you on the rain. As a now gone fishing buddy of mine used to say, The fish are already wet! :)

    Keep well
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will - thanks, it was very nice. I've always enjoyed being out in the rain, there is a quietness about it that is very peaceful provided it isn't coming down in buckets!

      Delete
  2. Mark
    Fishing in the rain works, like I always said The fish don't care, they are already wet. You had two nice outings. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! Two different nights but both enjoyable.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a couple of good days there, Mark. I especially like those foggy evenings with a light rain where the fish are rising and it's all a happy, dream-like affair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - thank you! The fog coming off the river along with the rain has a way of muffling most sound which adds to the whole affair!

      Delete
  4. Mark, I am glad you connected on the Farmington in the changing conditions. I agree with you, it is so gratifying to adapt and connect, most especially on flies you tie yourself.

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - thanks. I need to go back and work on my small fly stock. It's getting to be the time of year for the tiny stuff

      Delete
  5. Mark
    Congrats on landing some quality trout between rain breaks; I agree the patterns, colors and size usually changes from trip to trip. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill - Yes we need to be aware of what's going on and fish a little less and observe more.

      Delete
  6. Mark, I enjoy fishing in a light rain, it's so soothing.
    Like many have said "the fish are wet"....so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - I'm with you! Even when the rain got more stead and the water's surface was more disturbed, the fish continued to rise.

      Delete
  7. Just read your article. Good one. I liked it. Keep going. you are a best writer your site is very useful and informative thanks for Sharing best spinning reel.

    ReplyDelete