Monday, August 14, 2017

The sights and sounds of Sumner

Bergamont blooming in a meadow as the sun sets
The wildflowers are still blooming but those aren't the only sights to see these days. Yesterday afternoon I took a drive up to the Farmington to do some fishing and on the way up and came upon a bear crossing the road in the middle of the afternoon. Before I could grab my camera it was gone.  I was quite surprised to see a black bear in the middle of the afternoon close to the road and homes.  In addition to the usual beaver sightings and herons hanging around the river, I also watched as an osprey plunged into the river.  It was not rewarded for it's effort but it was interesting to watch close up.

I wanted to fish lower on the river to see if I could find some fish taking isos.  I found the bugs but only the cedar waxings and I noticed them.  The fish pretty much ignored them but it is always a pleasure to watch and listen to the wax wings in flight.  The first spot I fished I opted to nyphing the faster moving water with a weighted #12 iso nymph with a smaller dropper.  I hooked 3 trout but wasn't able to bring any to the net including one bruiser that crushed the iso nymph at the end of the drift when I let it swing.  I could tell it was a really nice fish but I didn't get a good look.  The river was a little off-color probably from some overnight rain so decided to head up river toward the dam to find some clearer water and less people floating down the river in inner-tubes.

Every now and then you make a good call, and I was fortunate to find a location devoid of anglers with fish rising steadily into the evening. I fished small sulfur emergers, a #20 parachute Adams, small sulfur wets, and some smaller usuals.  Each accounted for a few fish a peice.  Included in the mix were some decent browns and one that managed to break off the 5X  with a strong deep run.

I don't exactly know what the fish were keying on as darkness enveloped the river but it looked as though there was a spinner fall.  As usual, the usual did a fine job of bringing up some nice browns in the dark.


A pair of night time sippers

12 comments:

  1. Seeing a black bear always makes the trip that much better! Unless it's unhappy or too hungry of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rowan - It was really odd to see it where and when I did. Makes me wonder whether it was ok.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good day on the Farmington. With the rains this past season and with the cooler temperatures, fishing the local rivers has been pretty good for August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt - The rain this summer has kept the river in good shape. Last year The DEEP had to close areas around smaller tributaries because the fish were seeking refuge from the high water temps. This year the flows are much more normal and the river is staying cold a long way from the Dam (tailwater) which has probably has something to do with the fact that there are still sulfurs around.

      Delete
  3. Mark
    Another successful night on the Farmy! The wildlife sightings make it all the more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - Thanks, It's amazing that there is so much wildlife around the river to watch!

      Delete
  4. Mark
    Excellent job landing some really quality trout----I'm going to try some of the sulfur emergres and the size 20 adams on the Caney. From looking at the Farmington waters it reminds me of the Caney----learned something here from your post--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - Usually in NE the sulfur hatch is a late spring/early summer affair but this year the abundance rain has kept the reservior feeding the river full and the steady release of cold water has kept the sulfur hatch going. You would have to see if the same applies to your local river.

      Delete
  5. Great post and photos, Mark. It is always nice to find a zone devoid of anglers, most especially when fish are rising in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - thanks. I was pretty surprised that very few people were around!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Will - it always amazes me that the subtle rises I sometimes see are actually decent sized fish. You can't really tell from the picture but the brown in the net (2nd picture) had some shoulders on it and put up quite a fight. Not a trophy by any stretch but did put a nice bend in the rod.

      Delete