Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Indian Summer days

I spent a recent afternoon out enjoying the Indian summer weather we've been experiencing.  It's been a pretty dry fall so far and the rivers are low but remaining cool. With the lower water, I took the opportunity to explore some sections of the river that are normally not accessible to wading under normal conditions thinking that fish might have moved into runs with a decent flow and some depth.  Approaching the first promising run, it took about three drifts before the first brown was in the net.

Somebody is watching
As I was bring the fish to the net, I noticed that I was being watched.  Not wanted to be tangling with hungry heron, I quickly released the brown into some deeper water nearby and moved on.  I spent the rest of the afternoon picking my way among the boulder strewn stream bed with only a couple of taps to show for my efforts.  After working my way back, I decided to move to a run/pool that I haven't fished since last fall to see what the evening would bring.

Late in the afternoon, I noticed some subtle rises in the tail of a long riffle.  I had seen some olives appearing as the clouds began to dominate the sky.  After experimenting with the best position in which to get a decent drift among the conflicting currents, the #22 olive CDC emerger drew the first strike but I only managed to briefly hook the fish.  This pattern repeated itself twice more before the subtle dimpled rises ceased.  Then what I believe were little yellow quill spinners (Leucrocuta hebe) started appearing in number over the water surface and fish began rising again.  As I've seen before the fish were actually taking the spinners in the air rather than off the water's surface and it can be a very frustrating experience and this evening was no different.  I did managed to fool one brown with a small comparadun but that was it.  I tried every pale spinner, parachute and comparadun I had with me but nothing drew any interest. So I've spent the last couple days doing a little research to figure out what I was seeing and collecting some ideas to go back to the tying bench.

The one brown that was willing to take a comparadun

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Will - Even though the fishing was tough it was a great day to be outside at my favorite time of year

      Delete
  2. Mark
    Nice job getting out there! We need rain. Got to watch the heron it will steal your fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete - the recent rains have helped! I’ve heard stories of aggressive herons so I kept an eye on it when the fish was on

      Delete
  3. Great report, Mark, and I am glad you connected. As far as the trout taking flies out of the air, I have seen that too on the Swift. The brookies seem to be the best at it, but rainbows and browns do the same sometimes. It is hard to make a cast to make the fly hover over the water, unless you cast over a branch, which I have tried at times, but no results to date.

    Not long ago I was casting to a sipping trout that I never could get to hit. Getting dark I had to call it a night, but looked back at that zone as I walked off, and saw a big trout taking the flies out of mid air. It wasn't jumping out like the brook trout, just sticking its head out picking them off. Quite a sight!

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - When they are doing that there aren't many options for us! At first I thought they were taking something rising in the water column but wet flies were equally ineffective. I just don't understand why they won't take a spinner on the water surface unless I don't have the color or size right.

      Delete
    2. Mark, that is what makes fly fishing so great. It is so gratifying when one finally cracks the code. Seldom for me, but once in a while which is enough for me.

      Delete
  4. Mark, I think one of things I love about fly fishing is the ability to go back to the bench and create what I've seen, when it works, it's magic. Thanks for the report. We are finally getting some rain, much needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad - I've been stumped a few times on this problem but I'm still trying find something that can work. The rain is certainly welcome!

      Delete