I’ve been interested in experimenting with long exposure photography for some time. After doing a little research to get familiar with filters and settings, I figured that I would need a neutral density filter and a 10stop filter seemed a good place to start for what I was interested in doing.
The first opportunity that I had was an overcast afternoon, so I chose a small stream that I’ve been fishing with a nice waterfall. The brook trout were active and many were hooked on a bead head pheasant tail that I had dropped off a royal wulff dry. A few fish took the dry but the strongest fish hit the pheasant tail hard and then ran for the roots and undercuts and were able throw the hook. The late spring snow storms have left a lot of debris in and around this small stream making it difficult to get a fly to where the fish were and even more challenging bringing a feisty brook trout back out!
I spent the last half hour experimenting with the camera and the filter. Other than the out of focus twig on the right side, I was pleased to get the effect on the water that I was looking for. The 10stop filter was a but much for the overcast day but it should work nicely in situations with more light or longer exposures. This first study gave me a little better understanding of the variables I will need to control when using the filter.